Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
Re: Why is FE 70-200 bigger and heavier than Canon's
In reply to abortabort, 6 months ago

abortabort wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

They should hire someone from Pentax to design the lenses.

I think I read somewhere, so take with a dose of salt, that the small flange was only really an advantage up to a point with wider lenses, longer lenses beyond 135mm became not only no longer an advantage but made lenses on their own bigger due to making up the extra flange distance.

I can't say I can think of a longer than 135mm lens that is designed for a short registration distance to compare to though. SLRs had long flange and rangefinders short, but usually long FLs were only available on SLRs.

Well for RF it's because of the viewfinder limitation, but the 90mm are already very small. I think it's important for Sony to keep the lenses as small as possible. 1st: big lenses handle much better on large DSLR bodies. 2nd: many people came to NEX because they're tired of lugging DSLRs around, me included. Take a page off Fuji's book and release really attractive primes (like the 2 Zeiss) first. If Sony can do this I will be migrating over in no time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow