What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Different strokes for different folks, that is for sure.
In reply to Marty4650, 9 months ago

Marty4650 wrote:

tron555 wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

I think most M4/3 users want a camera that takes interchangable lenses, but if there are any who were yearning for a fixed lens camera.. then Canon just created a nice one for them.

I totally agree.

I don’t have unlimited funds for quality m4/3 lenses and don’t like the idea of always carrying a bag with multiples lenses. If all reviews will be as good as I think they will be on the G1X MkII and its IQ are outstanding, well, it might just sway my opinion.

Without a doubt, interchangeable lens cameras generally cost a lot more than fixed lens cameras once you go beyond a few kit lenses. They are usually a lot bigger and heavier too. Once you start buying lenses, you need a camera bag, no matter how tiny that camera is. It will never be as convenient as a fixed lens camera is, assuming you can live with the focal length range.

Image quality is not an issue here.

I totally agree.

I think you are right. A fixed lens camera is a one time sale. An ILC is a gift that keeps giving for the manufacturer.

I totally agree.

The truth is.... most cameras you read about here are overpriced . These are all very expensive toys for people who can afford them. Cost is a relative term that relates very closely to means, needs, and interests. Some of the high end M4/3 lenses cost more than a good mid level DSLR does.

I totally agree.

You know what; I think you just might be right after all.

1. I have always enjoyed the freedom of putting a camera in either a belt pouch or small weather proof fanny pack I have. Don’t think I could ever get used to carrying a bag over my shoulder all day when traveling. It seems like that would get real old, real quick, for me anyway.

2. Never missed a shot due to having the wrong lens on at that critical moment.

3. Never got dust on my imaging sensor. Never sent any camera in for maintenance.

4. Never paid exorbitant prices for multiple expensive lenses.

5. Never had any issues with Shutter Shock! That would really anger me after spending big bucks.

6. Never had any issues with poor quality printing, 11x14” is the largest I ever printed anyway.

7. Never had any issues with poor quality images posted on the web or sent via email.

8. Never had any issues with not being able to get narrow enough DOF, I don’t like that anyway.

9. Never had any issues with no built in flash or EVF’s falling off, breaking, etc…

I think I’ll wait to see how good/great the IQ and lens is on the G1X-MkII after the reviews having been completed. By that time (April-May), the new rumored Nikon Coolpix P8000 with a 24-120mm f/2.0-3.0 lens and 1” senor should be out. Hell, you never know, maybe even Canon may finally even put a 1” sensor in the G17, if they make it and know what is good for them. They better do something if the G1X-MkII does not live up to ALL its hype and promises. It should be interesting to see how well the reviews turn out for the G1X-MkII, one way or the other. Thanks for your reply!

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow