Is Iridient that good or Capture One that bad?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Is Iridient that good or Capture One that bad?
In reply to Brian_Downunda, 9 months ago

Brian_Downunda wrote:

I hesitate to interfere in what is an entertaining duel between these two forum members, but it touches on something which crops up often on this forum and which troubles me. I often get the impression that some people here think that if there isn't maximum detail then it isn't a good photo. Whether that's what they really mean I don't know, but it's the impression I get. Now I'd rather have more detail than less on most occasions, but it isn't usually what makes a photo good or bad, even from a technical level. I place greater weight on colour rendition and local contrast. Yet the strong language you see used about one converter or another (rubbish, blown away by xxx, etc) simply isn't justified.

Completely agree. Extreme or absolutist stances are often and quickly taken here (and in any Internet forum), most of the time without good reason.

I also agree that images are most of the time 'good' and even compelling without optimizing technical aspects. However, when given the choice, as you noted, the optimized version is almost always preferable, particularly when one sees them side-by-side. It is therefore legitimate that people ask for technical advice or spend time trying to get the most out of their images.

Also, most of the time, the strong language you notce about one or the other converter is due to an unfamiliarity with said piece of software.

I do wish that discussions of detail were more balanced and reflected its relative importance.

Agreed.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow