What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,910Gear list
Like?
Re: Too late
In reply to JeanPierre Martel, 6 months ago

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

s_grins wrote:

JeanPierre Martel wrote: Please read this:
"My conclusion is that the specifications of the Canon PowerShot G1 X sensor are remarkably similar to the Panasonic GH1 sensor. This doesn't mean that they are identical, though. But given that there are not that many sensor manufacturers out there, and certainly not for the Four Thirds sensor size, I would say this is a good indication that Panasonic do in fact produce the sensors for the Canons G1X. As you understand, this is of course purely speculation."
http://m43photo.blogspot.ca/2012/02/canon-g1x-sensor-size-same-as-gh1.html

I used to be a Canon user.

Many years ago, I’ve bought a used Powershot G3. I felt that the camera was so great that I immediately bought the current Powershot G5. But the Powershot G6 was released soon after: I bought it. Within a year, I had bought a G3, a G5 and a G6.

But the leaders of Canon felt that the Powershot series was too popular and was a thread to their lucrative DSLRs cameras. So they crippled the next model.

The Poweshot G7 couldn’t save pictures as RAW, didn’t had an articulated back LCD, and had a F/2,8 lens (instead of a F/2,0 lens).

So I’ve skip it. The next model could take RAW but still no articulated screen. And so on.

For years, I’ve waited for Canon. When the Powershot G10 was released, I’ve got tired of waiting and switched to μ4/3 cameras (GH1 and GF1); they had everything I was waiting from Canon.

If the Canon Poweshot GX series would have been released 4 years ago, the ILCs market would have been still-born.

Four years later, the Powershot GX series is nothing but a desperate attempt to stop the evolution of photography. Too late, Canon.

I did the opposite, move from m4/3's to Canon (FF) and wanted a small camera with a decent range and lens, the G1X mk1 ticked that box and the G1X mk2 looks better (in some respects). Canon are putting lenses on these models that beats any m4/3's zoom I've used. I expect the G1X mk2 to eat into m4/3's sales, if the lens is as good as the mk1 it will sell very well indeed. For those that want a fast fixed lens camera with this kind of range and excellent IQ they're a no-brainer, especially if G1X mk 2 focuses faster than the mk1 (apparently it does).

-- hide signature --

“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow