Who plans to order the G1X Mark II?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,717Gear list
Like?
Re: Maybe not Ruined, just changed?
In reply to Grobb, 7 months ago

tron555 wrote:

I mostly agree with both of you, I have the G12 and like the external controls and the articulated LCD. In another post I have some concerns about the cost and size of most ILC cameras once any lens with any real focal range is attached. Please read my post here that explains my dilemma: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53104547

I like the E-M10 a lot for it’s built in EVF and external controls, etc… but not for $2,900. People who want the same (or very similar IQ) on a budget and want a camera that can be put in a belt pouch for $2,100 less, compromises must be made. Also, there are no lenses (that I know of) that match the lens quality or versatility of the G1X MkII at this time. If any ILC had a lens with the specs of the G1X MkII, it would probably cost $1,500, or more! The lens alone on the G1X MkII is worth more than the initial asking price for that camera, IMHO. If the IQ is near equal to the E-M10 and AF speed is even close, it will be a real contender. You can also set up the dual lens rings for enough external controls to do many things normally done with external controls on the camera body. I want a smallish camera with great IQ that can be put in a belt pouch or carried in a large pocket for a decent price, and the G1X MkII seems pretty good. the What are your thoughts?

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/cameras/powershot_g1_x_mark_ii.do?utm_source=newsletter_february_1_14&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

I agree with you that an ILC with a comparable lens would be much more expensive than the G1XII. However, I would be willing (have been willing) to pay that additional cost up front in order to have a real system. I like my G1X. Its image quality is outstanding. But it is what it is. No matter what you add in accessories, it's still a 28-112mm lens camera. That $1500 ILC is limited in focal length only to what is available by various manufacturers at a cost you can afford. The only time my G1X sees action is if I am forced to pack extremely small, light weight gear. For your purposes, a camera in a pocket or very small bag, I understand that an ILC with multiple lenses has little/no value to you. It boils down to personal needs and preferences, and I fully understand all of us are different.

Knowing how little I use my current G1X, I cannot possibly justify the cost of the G1XII. There just isn't enough forward progression of the line to make me want it. If I didn't already own the G1X, it might be different.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow