The more you know (about great photography) the less pictures you take?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
DanielFjall
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Re: The more you know (about great photography) the less pictures you take?
In reply to Aaron801, 6 months ago

If you watch enough of The Grid, you get the sense that if you don't happen to be at an interesting locale, with an interesting subject, at just the right time of day (near sunrise / unset), you might as well not bother taking out your camera.

Unless I'm willing to go to such lengths to do the necessary legwork to purposely situate myself in the right location at the right time, many of the shots I take on a normal basis is classified (as they call it) "snap-shots", even if I do have some of the other elements.

One thing they do emphasis over and over is that your gear (price of your camera) is NOT one of the crucial elements of a great photo. I suppose this is to encourage those with entry-level DSLRs and the like. That's fine, but when they suggest "you gotta go to the right spots" which invariably means travel costs, the cost of gear seems to pale in comparison.

Your thoughts on this?

I firmly believe that a great photographer can find almost any local interesting from a photographic  perspective. I don't get to travel nearly as much as I'd like and I kind of feel the same way... that it'd be great to be in some really exotic locations to photograph (and experience on other ways). The challenge though is in working with what you have. All kinds of lighting can work, from overcast to hard sun, to artificial, provided that it's the right match for the subject and is handled in just the right way (exposure and post processing). What's really exciting for me is photographs of the most ordinary things that really transcend their ordinariness... Not easy to achieve, but worth striving to do. Maybe the thing to do is to look at a lot of photography (and not just the stuff on these sites, but books of great photographers work) with a special eye toward work that you like that is able to capture what's ordinary and transcend it... Trust me, there's plenty of that kind of work out there.

Also, I'd urge you to disregard the comment about landscape photography being "boring." There's a pretty wide range of work that would qualify for that label and so it seems pretty silly to put it all in one bag... especially if that's the kind of thing that you're really drawn to. We're all drawn to certain subject matter, but I think that it's a mistake to discount any sort of subject like that... I think that it's much more useful to form opinions about what shooting style and what photographers we like (those preferences help to inform own own style) than it is to be opinionated about really big generalities, like subject matter.

"The challenge though is in working with what you have."

This is where creativity thrives. I swear you'd be able to get a shot well worth it's time spent in your own bedroom if you work hard enough. I swear no place is no place for photography - unless it's pitch black. Work hard and love the challenge.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NopeNew
WhyNew
(unknown member)
OkayNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow