Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Maybe not Ruined, just changed?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, 10 months ago

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

AdamT wrote:

all they needed to do was replace the OVF with an EVF and speed the thing up - that was ALL !! . the lens, sensor, user interface, handling, swivelly screen the lot were pretty much perfect on the oriiginal G1X - I Hate the touchscreen on my EOS-M and wish it could be totally disabled as it`s easy to touch when handling the camera messing up the focus point or worse ......

Snip

I wish Canon would move in that same direction, but I guess us older folks are going to have to be satisfied with more and more touchscreen control. That looks like the future. One more thing, what good is an EVF if you have to take the camera away from your eye to use a touchscreen to make setting changes? The two rings on the lens may mitigate that problem, but I would need to handle the camera to see how those can be used.

I'm glad that Canon increased the wide angle end of the lens to 24mm. I would make use of that. The faster lens speed is also nice.

The OVF on the G1X is certainly not good, but I can use it in bright sunlight. Now, you have to spend another $300 to get an EVF. Are you kidding? Now we're at $1100, and still can't change the lens. There is simply too much competition in the $1100 price range for me to consider the G1X MK II.

-- hide signature --

Steve

I mostly agree with both of you, I have the G12 and like the external controls and the articulated LCD. In another post I have some concerns about the cost and size of most ILC cameras once any lens with any real focal range is attached. Please read my post here that explains my dilemma: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53104547

I like the E-M10 a lot for it’s built in EVF and external controls, etc… but not for $2,900. People who want the same (or very similar IQ) on a budget and want a camera that can be put in a belt pouch for $2,100 less, compromises must be made. Also, there are no lenses (that I know of) that match the lens quality or versatility of the G1X MkII at this time. If any ILC had a lens with the specs of the G1X MkII, it would probably cost $1,500, or more! The lens alone on the G1X MkII is worth more than the initial asking price for that camera, IMHO. If the IQ is near equal to the E-M10 and AF speed is even close, it will be a real contender. You can also set up the dual lens rings for enough external controls to do many things normally done with external controls on the camera body. I want a smallish camera with great IQ that can be put in a belt pouch or carried in a large pocket for a decent price, and the G1X MkII seems pretty good. the What are your thoughts?

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/cameras/powershot_g1_x_mark_ii.do?utm_source=newsletter_february_1_14&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow