ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sceptical1
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
New Lighter Lens for Pet Photography
10 months ago

Hi All,

Due to a fortunate accident I am doing a fair amount of pet photography. This is not my forte as I have been shooting wildlife for ages. I do have a background in portrait photography from the old days and I am happy with my pictures of non-moving pets. For action shots, I want to change things up and go lighter. Right now I have a 70-200 VR I and the new Nikon 80-400 VR (don't laugh, this lens does a fantastic job for wildlife and has worked shockingly well in good light for pet action shots.) These lenses are unwieldy for action (for me) and I would really prefer to use the 80-400 just for wildlife.

As some background I am in good shape but older and have slowly been moving to lighter gear. I have moved entirely (just sold my last FF, a D700) to DX and have no plans to move back to FX unless they can make them small and light. Further, I see little of the benefits at this point. My D7100's deliver very well. Finally, I have slowly replaced some of my Nikon lenses with the new Sigma's. I have several (17-50 2.8, new 18-35 1.8, 50mm prime) and love the bokeh. They are generally not as sharp as the Nikon equivalents but they are close and all produce more pleasing bokeh IMO. I just like them. So, no bias there and I will consider Sigma's to be "equal" to Nikons assuming they are more recent designs or updates.

So here are the lenses I am considering. Note that budget is not an issue for this purchase.

1. Nikon 70-200 F4. Great lens I know from borrowing one, light and sharp. The F4 maybe a small issue as I need to keep shutter speed up, but truthfully, this is probably not a huge issue as the action pet shots are normally in good light.

2. New Sigma 24-105 F4. This is a new lens and I don't even think it is available for Nikon yet. This lens looks to be much lighter but has two potential problems. It may not be long enough. It seems most of the action shots I am taking are between 70 and 150mm. Also, it is F4.

3. Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS. I have no experience with the lens. The reviews say its very sharp, but heavy for its focal length and I am trying to get lighter. I am not sure if its much lighter than the 70-200 and if it's not, I will not consider it.

Finally, I will consider other lenses that meet my general criteria.

ANSWER:
Nikon D700 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow