G1X MII or RX100II?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,374Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X MII or RX100II?
In reply to B1ackhat, 8 months ago

B1ackhat wrote:

Well if you already have the Ricoh GR, then no need to trouble yourself with thinking about the RX100/RX100 M2. I have an RX100, but I am definitely eying the G1X M2. Yes it's a lot bigger, but decent IS and JPEGs are something I miss in my RX100.

G1X II is twice the weight and size of RX100 ii (which already is borderline pocketable for most ...) and a lot more expensive initially. Much will depend on the lens quality, especially quality near full open. If the lens delivers I guess people will accept the larger size and higher price. If you need to stop down several stops for best quality or if corners are a real compromise whatever the aperture, it would not be worth it for me.

Btw, the OP talks about cropping on Ricoh GR but of course the GR needs that crop option more because it cannot zoom. Even at 35mm equiv. there is only about 10 MP left, less than the G1X II. The GR has higher image quality at 28mm-35mm equiv. or so, for 24-28 and 35-120 range the G1X II should win.

For me its difficult to chose between GR and G1X with the huge size/weight difference. Most of my walkaround shooting is at 24-28mm, I'm not sure if the extra zoom range and a few other nice features of the G1X II like tilt screen are worth losing the 'pocketable' feature.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow