yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,129
Like?
Re: Color Resolution Zen
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 6 months ago

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

mike earussi wrote:
Which will vary throughout the image, dependent entirely on the value of the four top layer pixels. So some parts of the image could be as low as 5mp whereas other part could be as high as 19mp, color resolution of course.

Yes, and this is an unwanted characteristic. One of the more irritating properties of bayer sensors is its varying resolution.

Now, the Quattro will not vary in resolution, but in color resolution. Not the same thing.

Yes, the irritating part about bayer is varying luminance resolution, because it suddenly drops the plots as far as detail before natural factors like DOF would cause decay.

The other annoying part is the color artifacts, which bring utterly unexpected colors into view where none should be simply based on a pattern.

Agree, I remember the fence pictures you have shown.

The Quattro should be immune to simply "made up" colors, the worst I can possibly see happening is some kind of color bleeding.  But because of the top layers also getting some values the lower layers get, you can eliminate a lot of color bleeding kinds of effects simply by having a clear picture of where the boundaries are.

You have an intersting thought about using info from the top layer - it does make sense. I wonder, with the current sensor, it also sees everything on the top level. Is it correct to see that it needs to subtract what it sees on the lower levels to calclulate what the colors of the top level are? Or am I wrong? If that is correct, it is a bit difficult to imagine how this subraction process would be accurate with different (and lower) resulution on the lower layers.

In the end the result should be way closer to 19MP of color resolution than 5MP.  I don't even think it's possible to have any image where you would only get 5MP of color resolution.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow