DOF and Cropping take 2

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,705Gear list
Like?
Re: DOF and Cropping take 2
In reply to Mark Ransom, 6 months ago

Mark Ransom wrote:

I think your calculations for motion blur are off. The motion blur is caused by the motion of the camera, which is independent of sensor size - if the sensor is 1.5x smaller then the blur must also be 1.5x smaller to maintain the same visibility across the frame. So if you need 1/400 for FF, you'll also need 1/400 for APS-C and 1/400 for the Q.

Anti-shake technology may mean the 1/FL guideline can be loosened a bit, but again that should be the same for all sensor sizes.

Yeah , your to kind I was talking rubbish of cause camera blur remains constant due to FoV scaling inversely to sensor size.

I was thinking about this and having a play it doesn’t quite work and I can't see why.?

I can hold a 40mm lens easily without IS on a 5.5 crop sensor @1/3 of a second which is ridiculous for 220mm FoV

I can't do the same with 150mm on aps-c

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow