On recent cameras: EM-1, XT-1, A6000 ...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,354Gear list
Like?
Re: Res : On recent cameras: EM-1, XT-1, A6000 ...
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 9 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Its worth listing the points but your comparisons are way off.

Firstly the huge EVF on the XT1 will totally outclass both A6000 and EM1 by a large margin. Its in no conceivable way a draw. Same with LCD I believe the Fuji one is larger? (not 100 sure there).

Well, it has a 'smaller view' option, as the entire view can cause edge troubles. In the field, many may opt for this, as you are framing your image. That would make the view actually smaller.

XT1 has superior manual focus aids now plus has a view that is adustable to different sizes and rotates when you hold the camera in portrait mode. Specifically XT1 has a picture in a picture mode that you can assign to split image or focus peaking in a magnified view. This is a step up from even the Sony focus peaking which is good but does not necessarily get you exact focus just very close.

The split image was a reprieval of the old focus-screen cameras, and this came very much as a backlash on the X100 AF problem. I see it as neither here nor there, it is a clumsy software workaround, and no faster than FP + zoom-assist.

AF performance is to be proven on XT1 and A6000 but it would seem A6000 is the leader there but XT1 is close and in real life it maybe much the same. EM1 does not have predictive tracking AF as far as I know.

So, you agree that it is a wash then?

IQ - Fuji Xtrans and colour are legendary and there is no AA filter. So whether A6000 with the 24mp sensor is better or the same or worse is not clear.

Well, it is funny that DxO mark allows for lens ratings in their database, but Fuji is completely absent. If they were so good, why would Fuji not want to be in the database.

The Nex-7 otoh ranks right up there with FF cameras because of the sensor resolution, provided the right lens (e.g. the E24Z).

So, what you are saying is that the 16Mp APS-C Fuji outdoes the 24Mp FF cameras? I doubt this. I think that Fuji has demonstrated to extract more IQ out of an APS-C sensor of 16Mp by its X-trans sensor array, but many claim that it really is by removing the AA filter and clever (careful) software.

The stepup from 16Mp to 24Mp is a big one, I don't think that Fuji can really make that without upping the pixel count.

As far as XTrans and RAW that is old news and was long since corrected with many RAW converters doing a very good job now. You won't get any agreement from Fuji shooters that Nex 7 gives better IQ than XTrans 16mp. I doubt it. Nex 7 colour is a bit weak even if high rez and then there was the issue of magenta cast which we don't know if the A6000 has inherited.

You won't get agreement from Fuji shooters, that is for sure. You are one too, I presume?

Magenta cast issues aside, the color issue is an OOC versus PP result. The Nex always needed a boost in PP to shine. If you don't, well, your argument sticks.

As to the RAW converters, no, the debate goes on. Yes, there have been improved demosaic algorithms for Fuji sensors, but theorist claim that the regular Bayer grid has led to better algorithms in general than the irregular X trans grid, and that not sufficient man-power will ever be put into the X trans demosaic algorithms to keep them on par. Coupled with lack of AA you are not in the mainstream. Better for some purposes (marketing), worse for others. I think this is another long debate elsewhere.

High ISO. There is no way A6000 or EM10 will match the XT1. That is a long bow. Nex 7 was waaayyy worse than XE1 for high ISO noise. I expect it to be better with this but mostly it would seem from better light throughput in the colour filter array (a minor breakthrough by itself) and noise reduction from the processor (I prefer no noise reduction).

We had these discussions between the original Nex-5N (ISO king) and the Nex-7. The Nex-7, down-sampled, recovered a lot of the noise and was given a pass. But if you push ISO, the Nex-7 falls apart.

Again, if you set ISO 1600 as a limit, the cameras are comparable. At ISO 3200, the XT may edge ahead, and at higher ISO I would use neither. I would resort to either a FF sensor or a MFNR method. The MFNR works well on the Nex-7.

Ergonomics - Here the XT1 leaps ahead - its going to be very comfortable to use, great external dials that most like, a great form. Most comments have been very positive to its look. A6000 is same as Nex 6 which is not bad but not beautiful. Oly looks better and is 2nd best there.

Obviously a major point for you, but a minor point for me. I agree with you, it should have been included.

XT1 also takes these super fast SD cards which will speed up everthing.

Compared to the slow XE? I have been using super fast SD cards in all my Nex cameras. 45Mb/s in the older ones and 90Mb/s in the newer ones. Are there faster SD cards out now?

How about USB3.0? No one has that yet. I have to unplug the SDcard and put it in my USB3.0 card reader - so much faster.

Lenses: Apart from the FE lenses the Fuji lens collection is pretty much 2nd to none and are very impressive and most are not that expensive either.

For a reason. Fuji targeted their lens roadmap to be one-up on Sony. Their lenses, one by one, are priced higher than Sony lenses, but lower than Sony Zeiss. So it all depends. I would not consider a Fuji system a low-cost option, rather a more pricey proposition.

But A6000 as you say is half the price of XT1 so that is amazing that the Sony offers so much for such a low price which will attract a lot of people. It seems at this stage to represent a lot of bang for your buck but Fuji XT1 is also weather sealed (important to some) and would be the more refined upper class camera that is quite mature and does everything well. The main selling points seem to be the huge beauitful EVF, the external knobs and controls rather than electronic menus only and the tracking AF, FPS and the lens collection with the famous Fuji colours and IQ. A6000 selling points would be the fast fps, fast AF, good video,24mp res and a very low price.

For some the size does not matter, but I am very used to the Nex sizes, and find the Fuji cameras a bit large. Many however like the larger Fuji cameras because you have more grip, larger buttons, more buttons, and it feels more like a pro camera. It all depends.

In terms of operation, the Fuji and Oly both have an edge with so many marked buttons that the Nex does not have. This new Nex has more markings which may help a little, but it is not a real match for the other two, I agree.

Despite your Fuji preferences, I don't see many Fuji shooters coming over to Sony, nor do I see Sony shooters moving over to Fuji. Many already found their allegiance in years past (yes, many posters here moved to Fuji) for Fuji's catering to more sophisticated ('pro') users. Fuji has done an excellent marketing and product strategy, but they remain a niche player as a result. If Fuji wants to get the masses, they must come with a price leading model, which is a bit hard for them.

Sony is more the consumer focused player, which gets the masses, but being viewed as 'pro' oriented is very hard to do at that time. However, with their activitives since the RX1 they seem to be astutely aware that being #1 in what they do matters. So time will tell.

I can see A6000 taking a lot of sales away from Canikon lower models. It would seem Canikon models offer nothing the A6000 can't do just as well if not a lot better and for less money and less size and weight.

Expect some discounting specials from the Canikon camp in the interim. Who knows? Still, the DSLR prevails in the sales numbers, and I don't see the A6000 changing it. But I can see it being a winner for Sony. If nothing else, it removes one of the big hypes around the Sony cameras - poor AF.

Greg.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow