Anybody here using base-ISO exclusively or predominantly?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Anybody here using base-ISO exclusively or predominantly?
6 months ago

I was wondering if anyone here is using predominantly or even exclusively base-ISO.

I am asking, because ETTR is a popular approach, but it's useful at base-ISO only. Also, with many modern sensors, there is the notion that digital amplification to adjust image brightness is a valid approach over using in-camera analog/digital amplification schemes. Base-ISO, of course, has the advantage that noise is lowest and dynamic range is highest. The SilkyPix developers allude to all that and encourage using the approach.

I have personally not yet done a thorough test to see how far the base-ISO-only approach can be taken with my X-E1, so I am curious about other peoples' experiences. I have used my X-E1 at base-ISO for a few days right when I got it, and I wasn't too thrilled about noise in the shadow areas, but these were quite tricky landscape scenes, so I wonder if I encountered a technical limitation of the sensor, or if using base-ISO isn't so appropriate after all.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow