Sony A7 Flash

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,472Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A7 Flash
In reply to juvx, 10 months ago

juvx wrote:

Im sure this has been asked before but what flash do you guys use for the Sony A7 or A7r? I just bought a A7. I dont mind using a non sony brand in its standard hot shoe im just looking for the best option.

At the risk of repeating others, I recommend getting both the HVL-F20M and HVL-F43M flash units. (Do get the M versions, not the older AM versions, for you'll need adapter sockets).

The 20M is very compact and can be used as a travel flash, as well as a wireless trigger for the 43M. They allow for HSS and TTL shooting.

If you want to go with non-TTL third party flash units, I recommend getting the Cowboy Studio adapter with external flash units. E.g. units like the TT560 or the YN560-II are very similar to the 43M, but are much cheaper, and can be set up in manual mode to behave more or less identical. The 43M works with the Cowboy Studio adapter too, but the 20M does not, as it lacks a manual mode.

If you use flashes in non-TTL mode, you have to dial in the settings, based on the scene. Even though some of these newer flashes have LCD screens, I find it easier to just install an app on your smartphone and derive the settings from there.

And do get the Gary Fong diffuser too. It is easy to use and it works, for when you have no ceiling to bounce of.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow