What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Re: Finally.... a fixed lens M4/3 camera.... and from Canon!
In reply to Marty4650, 10 months ago

Marty4650 wrote:

I think most M4/3 users want a camera that takes interchangable lenses, but if there are any who were yearning for a fixed lens camera.. then Canon just created a nice one for them.

If the Canon really is $800, then it will help sell a lot of Panasonic GM1 and Olympus EM10 cameras.

-- hide signature --

Marty

Marty… since you have been around awhile and I value your opinion, check out my post (3 hours after yours) and let me know what you think. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53104547

I was (and still am) one of the people considering the EM10, but have some reservations now.

I don’t have unlimited funds for quality m4/3 lenses and don’t like the idea of always carrying a bag with multiples lenses. If all reviews will be as good as I think they will be on the G1X MkII and its IQ are outstanding, well, it might just sway my opinion. I think Oly/Pany will not make a m4/3 camera with a fixed lens because it will cut into their lens profits. Also, I think their quality (Pro) lenses are ridiculously priced, especially if the lens on the G1X MkII matches or exceeds all of them. Now, if Oly/Pany could make a 24-120mm (FF equivalent) lens with the specs of the G1X MkII, then maybe things would be different. I would rather get the EM10 with that kind of lens, but Oly/Pany can’t/won’t make one, for some strange reason. Maybe they like the profits they are getting from all the different (expensive) lenses they are selling? It seems to be a good alternative for someone like me with an aging G12 that is looking for better IQ at a reasonable price, what are your thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow