How good/bad actually is the Nikkor 24-120 f4 VR?

Started Nov 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ne beginner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,941Gear list
Like?
Pictures can be misleading unless the represent what and how ...
In reply to babola, 2 months ago

babola wrote:

MPA1, it pays to check these photos taken by Doug Beasley, D800 + Nikkor 24-120 f/4.

This should put your mind at ease ;)...I own Nikkor 24-120 f/4 and absolutely love it. I sold my 24-70 f/2.8 not long after I got this lens.

Not without its minor faults, however all fixable in post and the clarity and sharpness absolutely blows away even the more expensive glass.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41168408

http://www.dbpics.biz/Photography/D800-Test-Shots-San-Francisco/22165123_XwWgvG/1784473736_37LqxNq#!i=1784473736&k=37LqxNq

... You shoot.  I have seen stunning photo's takes with kit lenses ... by professional photographers, using heavy tripods and high f stops.  I'm surprised at how many experienced people will point to these kinds of photos as an indication of what this lens will do for all, without giving any consideration to how the prospective buyer will actually use the lens.

The 24-120 is a great lens, when used within the parameters it is designed to be great in. That would be stopped down.  It's not so great for someone who does a lot of low light, where f4 is not enough to get enough shutter speed to stop motion. Or where its AF is more likely to be slow.

It's a great general purpose travel lens when used in good light.  Someone in another thread posted about using it for a magazine photo shoot ... at f11 and up.

Fact is, all of these mid-range Nikon zooms, including the 24-120's sibling, the 24-85 VR, will do very well stopped down above f5.6, and can rival the 24-70.

But that's not why one buys the 24-70; that would be for the f2.8, near instant AF in low light, and smooth backgrounds.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow