With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,262
Like?
Re: Sony a6000 First Impressions Review posted
In reply to nevercat, 10 months ago

nevercat wrote:

captura wrote:

Donny out of Element here wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

captura wrote:

• OLED electronic viewfinder with 1.44M dots * NEX-6 Viewfinder resolution was 2,359,000 dots!

Why was the EVF reduced to 1.44M dots ?

Cost, and marketing

This is the old EVF from the Alpha SLT cameras it seems.

I guess that this camera is not for MF lenses, but for fast AF lenses

Also, it enables a (big) distinction for a future upmarket (=pricier) A7000 model.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Not quite. Sony rep in video clearly states that this EVF has different and improved optics in front of OLED EVF and in combination with faster BIONZ-X chip (faster feed, refresh, cleaner image etc) it offers actually better viewing experience. So I consider this as an upgrade to old NEX-6/7 EVF.

BTW, imaging-resource review confirms that side-by-side a6000 EVF is much better one to use.

Maybe so. But it's smaller, and that can't be a good thing. Somebody already posted that they borrowed it from another cheaper camera.

Maybe you look to munch into the numbers. You might look into this numbers too:

Then Nex 5 (the original, without EVF) cost in 2010 $700 this camera 4 yearls later, costs only $800,-- You get an EVF, WIFI, more pixels, faster docussing, mode dial etc. for that money. I think it's a steal!

When comparing it to theprice of the Nex 6 at launch: $899,--. The A6000 is $100,-- cheaper, it has faster AF (something much asked for) and you complain about the EVF that has a lower resolution.... Sory but this is economics.

I think Sony did a hell of ajob creating this camera, with these specs. at this pricepoint!

Well as the years roll on the initial cost of R&D gets amortised and camera with a base market need less introduction.  Prices can be lower and competition keeps the prices keen and frankly if they were to ask much more for the camera then there are a lot of other quite brilliant cameras to choose from - including Sony's A7 type.

It seems to me that Sony has quite deliberately crippled the a6k with a down-graded (superior for video?) evf to leave room for an a7k somewhere between this camera and the regular FF A7 type.  Allowing also for a cut-price (feature reduced)  FF sensor model below the present A7 type line.

Right at the moment there is no pull for me to upgrade a quite reasonable NEX6 which is in good condition and serves me well.  Thanks Sony, just saved me some money by proving that it is a good idea to wait awhile.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow