With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
Re: re: few questions on practical aspects of the a6k
In reply to erringtont, 5 months ago

erringtont wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

Sean, I'm very much affraid that nothing did change in this respect on the move from N6 to a6k:

• e.g. the flash sync is still rather lowly 1/160 sec;
  • and the 1/60 sec default is one of the most annoying nuisances already on my N7;

What's awesome is attaching an external flash and being able to use up to 1/4000.  

• forcing me to switch from A-priority to S-priority much more too often that I wish (easy to do with MF legacy, but not otherwise);
  • in the meantime (since posting my questions here 6 hours ago) I've learned that there is probably no way at all to get AF off from the shutter 1/2-press and to assign it to some configurable button at the back of a6k (at least there isn't on N6);

jpr2

Certainly we'll have to wait for full reviews of the actual performance, but so far no one has asked if the limitations on the NEX 6's Hybrid PDAF AF system will continue to be the case with the a6k.

For example:

On the NEX 6 PDAF only works with compatible lenses used at apertures of f6.3 or wider. Has that been addressed/changed in the a6K?

Actually, in P mode, you can use any aperture you want -- the camera will change the aperture between focusing and snapping the photo.  You can watch the aperture in the lens and see!  This is in single-shot mode, though (AF-S) not AF-C.

Will earlier lenses that had firmware updates to enable the NEX 6's PDAF system still work on the new model or will additional FW updates be needed?

Will the viewfinder image still pulsate when AF-C is active and aperture values are greater than f6.3?

Interesting.  Even in P mode, it'll still do this pulsing over f6.3.

Will third party lenses be able to take advantage of this new AF performance (after all Sony did open the E-Mount spec)?

Other NEX 6 issues:

Focus point selection is a multi-button press exercise. My sense is there is no change in that function on the a6k.

Per jpr2 it appears that one cannot configure an "AF-On" function to any of the configurable buttons removing focus from the half shutter press.

I haven't noticed this on the Nex-6.  What would you use it for?

The NEX 6 had no provision for saving user settings. This appears to have been addressed with the MR on the mode dial, but we'll have to wait and see how flexible that feature will be.

Is this new for Sony?  The past cameras I've seen in the past don't have any custom setting modes.

I own a NEX 6 and enjoy shooting with it, however I have missed shots due to its relatively slow AF performance.

I must have a different kind of Nex-6.    I find the AF fast.  In the IR review, they give it a figure of .26", IIRC, and that sounds about right.  Faster than some, slower than others.

Sometimes it doesn't focus on what I want it to (or doesn't focus), but it will snap the photo pretty rapidly...and usually it works.  If a DSLR gets a few more keepers, I can live with that.  In really low light, especially with the 55-210, all bets are off (it might take a while!), but aside from that....

Incidentally, none of the above is an issue/limitation on my "long-in-the-tooth" D-300.

My long in the tooth A100 wouldn't even take a photo sometimes if the light was marginal.  I could see that it was reasonably in focus, and it just wouldn't do it.  So I changed it to "shutter priority" -- even if it was unhappy, it'd give me its best guess, which was usually good.  In a way, I think of the Nex-6 the same way.  I can just jam the shutter, and I'll generally get what I want.  If I'm in a hurry.  If not, I'll half-press and wait for green boxes, verify that it's what I really want, but I get the feeling that it can "hurry-up".  Or maybe not, and I'm just imagining the whole thing.  (shrug)

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow