What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Alien from Mars
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?
In reply to Fatalfury, 10 months ago

Fatalfury wrote:

I think the Canon a G1X II is a very serious contender to m43 system, lens being the main reason . Hopefully it inspires Olympus and Panasonic to man up and deliver the same kind of glass to their cameras at the same price point. For 800$ this is a really good deal, considering how much equivalent lenses in M43 would cost, right now there even isn't any equivalent zoom lens. G1X II is priced about the same as zuiko 12mm F2.0, i for one would definitely would pick the Canon, you get 12mm F2 that extends to 60mm F3.9.

At this time there is no excuse for Oly and Panny not to release a fast compact zoom. The (often overpriced) primes are nice and all but M43 needs to up their game to survive. Can't see why a casual photographer would choose M43 camera instead of this Canon really.

The main question is: How fast the AF will be? Will it be fast, comparable to latest crop of m43 cameras? Or will it be like G1X-1? Or EOS-excuse me-M? Does it have touch-to-focus? Also what about general operational speed of the camera? G1X-1 was quite a turtle in this regard.

Second question is: will the lens deliver? It looks so good on paper. Unbelievable specs for such a small size. Of course it only has 12MP to resolve. That moves us to a next question - how good the sensor will be? A larger pixel theoretically could be good for lower noise. But if this sensor is anything like other 'modern' Canon sensors it will lag behind latest m43 sensors at least for low ISOs.

If Canon put everything right this camera will rock for sure. I would like to see it shine.

Still some will prefer m43 for various reasons. Like built-in VF, better video specs (Panny) , Oly 5-axis IBIS, interchangeability of the lenses...

Alien from Mars's gear list:Alien from Mars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow