Is XT1 Already "old hat"?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
zither
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re: Is XT1 Already "old hat"?
In reply to Peter Sills, 7 months ago

Peter Sills wrote:

Let's face it. The XT1 is basically an improved XE2 in a new body. However, the improvements seem to be slight, other than the EVF which is supposed to be amazing. However, the camera is $1300 for the body alone.

Now Sony goes and announces the a6000. Much better autofocus (127 PDAF vs. 9), resolution (24mp vs 16), size (smaller), etc. it is also priced at HALF, $650!

Now, Sony lenses are generally awful, but there is now a range of Zeiss lenses which work extremely well with the system. How is Fuji to compete. I own the XE1 and was planning to upgrade to the XT1, however I am now questioning that move.

why shouldn't I switch? Help!

-- hide signature --

Peter Sills
Digital Focus
www.digitalfocus.net
www.focusstudios.com

I have Sony A7, RX100II, used to have Nex5R, FE35/2.8, 18-55, 16-50, etc. But I still bought fuji XE1 kit with 35/1.4 and 27/2.8 later.Why? because Sony lens line-up cannot satisfy my needs! Here are I thought between Sony and Fuji. Here are my experiences with the two brands.

1. Sony body usually has Higher MP, better new tech features like touch screen, wifi.

2. Only Sony RX series have good build quality. NEX and A7/R are just so so.

3. FE Zeiss lens are good, but too limited so far. Also prepare for $1000+ average per lens and don’t expect them to hold the value as well as Canon/Nikon top lens.

4. Sony APS-C lens are made for cheaper body. Do not expect high IQ from them (zeiss 24/1.8 maybe the only exception now)

Overall, Sony lens are in the two ends of the world. Lower end give you portability and experience of a number of cool features, but not IQ. Higher FE end provide superb IQ with big cost. It may win the future even against Canon/Nikon FF DSLR, but not now with the first generation A7/R and the four lens.

1. Fuji body has better color, OOC jpg, control, but relatively bigger, and less new electronic features.

2. build quality is between Sony NEX and RX, but XT-1 could be an exception.

3. Most of Fuji lens so far are in the same league, IQ much better than Sony APS-C lens, and not far from Zeiss FE lens but cheaper.

4. The availability of Fuji lens at the moment + upcoming 10-24/f4 are far superior than Sony APS-C.

Overall, Fuji is really for users don’t want to spend too much ($3000+) now on the uncertain and expensive FE Zeis line-up, but also not happy with IQ from Sony APS-C. I'll probably wait for more FE lens and reviews of X-T1 to decide my next step. But no way I'm going to NEX (AX000) again.

zither's gear list:zither's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow