Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mjh04
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Second Body to complement my OM-D E-M1.
7 months ago

I am getting ready to some travel in a few weeks and have been thinking about having a second body in addition to my E-M1.  I don't live anywhere where I can see these cameras in person and will have to order based on reviews here and elsewhere in the net.  I don't want to go crazy with the cost, but cost is not the deciding factor.  Certainly, the E-M10 and the Panasonic GM1 are definitely on my list, I also might consider a GX7.   I have read about the differences in IBIS, electronic shutter, etc.  I also had an E-M5 prior to the E-M1 and know how it handled.

Staying MFT will give me access to the 4 lenses I already own as well as a potential pancake zoom from either Olympus or Panasonic. I don't have that much of a sense of the size difference and how it impacts the handling and usage of the two cameras.  In some regards, I am thinking that if I have too much overlap with the cameras in terms of form factor or handling, this second body will rarely be used, so maybe I should go with the very small GM1.  But the lack of a viewfinder is of some concern.  Also, there may be much to be said for consistency of the menu system of the Olympus that I am already used to.  I have thought the Rangefinder styling of the GX7 is something that might encourage a different approach to my photos.

In addition, I have thought about doing something totally different than MFT for this additional body.  For example, a Fuji X-E1 or X-E2, as I seem to be very captivated by the way it renders images, yet the rational side of me tells me that is not very smart since I already have this investment in MFT lenses.  Though I usually shoot in RAW, it appears that they do a very nice job with OOC jpgs which can be useful with travel photography.  And traveling with the E-M1 and an X series will be more bulk than on of the other bodies, but I don't know since I don't have the ability to see the Fuji cameras.

I have seen the Sony RX-100 and while images I have seen on the net look good, it's handling does not seem very attractive for me.

I am not really interested in any rehashing of format wars, camera bashing, etc., but am trying to decide what might complement what I have and expands my options, has has good usability.  You all here have been very helpful at providing advice and I would appreciate your assistance in thinking this through. I am just spinning my wheels trying to make a decision.  Too many options.

Thanks,
Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

mjh04's gear list:mjh04's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow