* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #303 14 02 12 *

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
White balance in Foyer Rotunda & NikOlympus Flash System
In reply to 19andrew47, 5 months ago

Thanks Andrew,

For this scene I minimized the effects of the fisheye by shooting straight up. By shooting any UWA lens on a level and square, with the subject centered the effects of distortion can be minimized, allowing a seemingly normal view that the eye cannot actually see.

I brought up the shadows a bit but in doing so I also lost the graphic contrast of dark and light. The ceiling spaces facing down were very warm colored, possibly reflecting the artificial tungsten or sulphur lamp lighting. The skylight was indigo blue shortly after sunset. It would be difficult to balance those very different colors of the light with white balance. As you can see from Roel's photo the walls and ceiling are actually white.

Yes, everything is a bit heavier now with the new system. I'm actually using my Olympus FP-1 flash grip and six FL-50 flash units with the Nikon by connecting with a radio sync or a wired connection to the PC terminal. It's all manual but I like to shoot flash that way. I call it my NikOlympus flash system.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Don,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow