DOF and Cropping take 2

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
Re: What the heck is a cropped image ( with the 645d)
In reply to awaldram, 10 months ago

awaldram wrote:

So your now agreeing a crop from a larger is identical to the the smaller sensor - hallelujah.

and I see your also changing your mind

He in fact has changed his mind about nothing, either here or in the earlier thread. Neither have I, nor James, nor anyone who understands this stuff. We've been exactly consistent. What seems to be happening is you yourself have moments of clarity in which you understand what's being written or demonstrated and answer accordingly to some post, and then lose it the next. Too bad you can't be consistent with that clarity.

Total light gathering is irrelevant , per pixel light gathering determines noise.

No - total light gathering over the sensor area determines image noise.

The d800 with the same pixel density as 16 mp aps-c sensor unsurprisingly has the same noise and dnr.

It absolutely does not, at the image level. If what you were saying had any bearing on reality, a P&S made from the same sensor wafer as the K5 could be said to have "the same noise and dnr as the K-5", which it of course would not. Sensor area determines amount of total light captured which ultimately determines noise and contributes directly to DR.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow