Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nolten
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 5 months ago

Wow, its real then. Nice.  Sorry Marco, but I'm glad you were wrong. 

As a happy G1X owner, I welcome the continuation and improvements in the line. If Canon has done their job it looks like an improvement equivalent to the 5D2 to 5D3 generation. The EVF and lens improvements are significant and the AF looks promising. 30 FPS HD video is also a welcome improvement. Sensor improvements are still TBD. Price is the same as the G1X at introduction and its come down to about $600.

I don't feel compelled, at this point, to replace my G1X like I was when the G1X was announced as a replacement for my G10. But then, I felt this way when the 5D3 was announced too

Having done side by side IQ comparisons between my G1X and 5Dc + 24-105 and 7D/SL1 + 15-85 I can say that the IQ of the G1X is very close to those combinations, particularly the 15-85 between 18-50 and ISOs up to 1600. I use my G as a supplement to my 5D3 when traveling, for backpacking, and underwater. To really tempt me the Gmk2 will have to convince me I can leave my 24-105 home and just take my Voigtlander 20, 35 f2 IS, and 100-400 for the 5D3. A tall order given the resolution difference with the 5D3. The Gmk2 sensor is no different in resolution than the G1X, 4352 px wide, 5Dc width.

I think the improvements will make the new G a much more generally attractive camera and thus ensure the continuation of the line. I've loved my Gs as sturdy, reliable little cameras when I've been out in the field and the G1X easily convinced me that I'd never go to a small P&S sensor again. I don't understand why anyone would buy a regularly numbered G with the X line available. And don't say close focus because a 250D filter easily fixes that. Assuming the exposure compensation dial has moved to one of the front rings, my only niggle is the loss of the fully closing LCD display. I look forward to reviews and testing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow