A6000 - losing touch

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
Re: A6000 - a note on papparrazi style reportage
In reply to KelvinHammond, 5 months ago

KelvinHammond wrote:

Actually, these bodies are pretty damn good for journalism and paparazzi work. I shot natural light coverage at the grand opening of our new library here in Billings with my Nex7 and the 18-105 4, and I could go anywhere virtually unnoticed. Since it's a crop body, that lens is 27-160mm-ish, both long and wide for anything that came up, and the zooming doesn't extend the lens barrel, but... there was also a newspaper photographer there with a Nikon and a 70-300 2.8 on it, and trust me... she got noticed. Comparing the images, especially as relates to newsprint, they were virtually no different. We both had to shoot wide open, 1600iso, 125s. I suppose if you pixel peeped, mine might be a bit more grainy, but that would be undetectable in newsprint. Really, it would go undetectable at anything under 100% print sized. She was standing right next to me, and I noticed I fired my camera almost every time just ahead of her, given the same reaction to the event. So, the lag, if there is one, or the possible slower focus, wasn't detouring my ability to shoot milliseconds ahead of her, which could be due to my 30+ years of experience & anticipation (vs her 6 years), or maybe she had a slower reaction time, or it's possible that my shutter click was like Pavlov's bell for her. Either way, the equipment difference wasn't providing her any advantage, but damn... she was weighted down. Seriously, she had the Nikon with the 70-300, and another one with the 16-35, plus a camera bag, and she wasn't getting more out of it then my 18-105. The rooms weren't really long enough to warrant 300mm anyway. The compact nature of these cameras, and the high IQ, make them pretty stealth.

Agreed, the compact camera size should give it an edge. It is the focus point selection that could be improved for selective focusing.

It looks like your long experience allows you to use the camera effectively in those situations. I can use those cameras with a manual focus lens and focus quite accurately and quickly most the time. But I would miss fast auto-focus combined with quick selection of the target among two or three people on the move.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow