ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pentx4life
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
My slide digitalizing machine... 2seconds per image = 1800 Slides/hour
8 months ago

Hi guys,

reading about the Pentax Slide copier and some people being happy about it I thought I'd share my little dia-digitalizing machine... It digitalizes 1800 Slides per hour semi-automatically . I only need to feed the magazines in the projector. Quality: Perfect. (K5, DNG, Tamron 90mm,F7.1, -1.7 Av-Mode)

I used a slide projector, removed the lens and the AF-motor-modules...

I inserted a matte-glass behind the slide position in the projector. DO NOT remove any lenses or the Heat-absorber-glass (green glass)

I used a Aluminum plate to mount my camera on. This one is screwed rock solid in the wood of an old cardboard. I put in three small screws in the aluminum plate which fit in the small holes on the bottom of my K5. Use a pencil and a paperand mark the positions of the screes and the center screw for the tripod screw.

Drill holes for the tripod mount and if you wish for your battery compartment to change batteries.

If you have a cable release for the slide projector, you need to unmount it and find out, which contacts need to be circuited to get a forward transport.

Then you need to buy a small headphone jack for the cable release of the camera and find out which 2 of these 3 cables need to be shortcircuited to release the trigger (it IS SAFE. You will NOT hurt your camera with that!!!)

Use a macro lens and choose the right distance to the slide projector to trigger to get the right magnification.

Put your camera in the vertical position that the slide-magazine can pass on the left side. Turn all yoiur horizontal slides vertically!!

I added a small plastic card (the Period table of elements - this plastic card will keep paper slides in the perfect angle, so they don't get stuck in the projector.

Buy a small microcontroller - I am using a Project Board Basic Stamp 1 from parralax (but I don't really like it - I think Arduinos are more flexible)

Buy one large and one small transistor (I used two of an old videorecorder)...

Use the small transistor to trigger the camera, use the large transistor to trigger the slide projector.

So after some hours of work you should be able to digitalize your slides.

If you guys are interested, I could share the code or give specifics about the connections!

Best regards,

Kevin

Camera mounted vertically on a aluminum plate. Held in place by a tripod screw, which is covered with another "plastic-paper", so the magazines don't hit the screw and jam in the projector. I fixed the position of the camera AND the projector with few scres in the brown wooden plate.

This periodic table of elements helps positioning paper-slides so they don't get stuck in the transport system

The battery compartment can still be opened - but as i am not reviewing the images and using no AF and shooting DNG only - battery life is about 4000 Images (true story

I removed the cable remote for the slide projector and soldered a new cable to be able to trigger the projector manually by circuiting the cables (black, white!)

Using a microcontroller to trigger camera and projector. The large transistors on the right are necessary, as the trigger of my projector used a peak voltage of 50V. I used a smaller one before, but that died cause of heat. It looks very chaotic, i know, but is actually quite simple to assemble if you have a soldering iron.

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow