Olympus faux-technical sounding names

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,068Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus faux-technical sounding names
In reply to Nippero, 5 months ago

Nippero wrote:

I had no idea where the "OM-D" name came from when the EM5 was released. I probably wasn't born when people were running around with OMs and Pens.

I guess you missed all of the pre-release hype that referred back to the film cameras

Why do we need E-PL and E-PM if "PEN" is already part of the full name? Or does that P stand for something else...? Olympus PEN Electronic-PEN1?

You need the P so you don't have to use the PEN

EDIT: So if M means mirrorless, are the E-PL, E-PM, E-P lines not mirrorless? If D means Digital, why do we need Electronic? So what happens when a OM-D (or a PEN?) comes out with emphasis on electronic shutters? Is it an OM-D E-EM?

It could also refer to Manitani, which actually makes more sense- P for PEN style M for Manitani (OM) style

I'm sure for people familiar with Olympus it all makes sense, but I stick to Panasonic and have no clue about Olympus's history, so I tend to forget where the hypens go and etc.

The history is here: http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/history/camera/medium/

But is it that you don't care to know the history???

Oh, getting back to Panasonic, can you tell me what the H stands for?  I know it's the more video oriented, so why not a V?

the X? Extreme?  Is it shock proof and water proof?

M I get, mini.

What about the F?

Oh, and while you're adding the DMC, don't forget the Lumix...

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow