What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,795Gear list
Like?
Not small enough.
In reply to rpm40, 8 months ago

rpm40 wrote:

The rumor mill is starting to pin down how the new Canon G1X will turn out, and it looks like the new model will have a slightly smaller sensor, even closer to m4/3 size (a 1.92x crop, in fact). With such similar sensor dimensions, it makes me wonder how it will compare to existing m4/3, and also if it will satisfy those looking for a fixed lens m4/3 equivalent. I think it will be a serious consideration for those people.

Specs:

Smaller size than G1X with reduced external controls (size should be similar to, say, e-pl5 with pancake)

Approx 1.4" sensor, 13.1 megapixels

Lens: 24-120mm 2.0-3.9 with built in lens cap

Tilting touch LCD

Wifi with NFC and remote wireless control

Built in flash, no OVF, hotshoe w/ optional EVF

Interchangable grips

5cm macro mode

Price probably $799ish

I think it's a very interesting package. Essentially the size of an m4/3 with pancake lens, but with a fast and versatile lens built in. No lens switching, no lens caps, it should even have a built in ND filter like the GX1/S series. This sounds like a really convenient all around shooter.

If it turns out to be as good as it sounds, I might be tempted. What do you think?

It's a funny thing. I think the world of the LX7, and I just sold mine. Over the years, I chose the LX3, LX5 and LX7 over the Canon Gs. Once I replaced my DSLRs with a GX7 & G6, though, I found I carried the GX7+20mm instead of the LX7. The LX7 just wasn't that much smaller, and the protruding lens made it not very pocketable. When I need something smaller than my GX7, it'll have to be shirt-pocket size. The LF1 is a good candidate, but I'm no longer willing to settle for less than m43 IQ for anything but social snaps, and for that I've got my smartphone. If Panasonic makes something like the GM1 but with a retracting semi-wide prime lens, I'll be all over it.

-- hide signature --

jacquescornell.com

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow