A6000 - losing touch

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,709
Like?
Re: A6000 - losing touch
In reply to 120 to 35, 7 months ago

120 to 35 wrote:

As mentioned in various threads here, the A6000 has good features and sells at an attractive price point, the same for the A5000.

But with all the excitement about focusing speed, I find it strange that the cameras do not feature a touch screen.

The large number of PDAF points spread all over the frame is a great idea. Yet the quick focus-selection touch tool is missing.

Perhaps 80% of current camera use is with smart-phones and tablets. These devices feature a very high-res LCD that shows the difference between in-focus and out-of-focus areas very clearly, despite the large depth of field of the tiny lenses and sensors. The phone shows a green square on the focus area and allows the user to tap on a face or an object to change the focus point immediately.

How is the average iPhone user going to be convinced that this camera is not a clumsy, difficult-to-use downgrade from the phone? On the highly successful NEX-5 models with touch screen, the transition from the phone is simple with the same touch screen and focus point selection. Why not include the touch screen on all models?

Some advanced users (and there are many in this forum) might think the touch screen is just for novices and has no benefit for them. I have seen long threads about continuous auto-focus and auto-focus speed, but nothing about auto-focus pint selection.

Therefore it seems those particular posters mostly take pictures of

• one active child
  • one playful dog
  • one bird in flight
  • one building or monument in frame

No all real-world subjects are in the above list. We often need to choose the focus point among two possible ones, while the camera generally selects the closer face or object or the one with more contrast (often the nearest lamppost or window frame). And we need to do this in a split second.

I don't think we will spot any paparazzi using the A6000 to take pictures of celebrities on the move accompanied by minders and assistants.

I'm also sorry they didn't include a touch screen as I like it very much on my NEX-5R and think it has many benefits: touch to focus being the most important and very, very handy

I don't understand why Sony miss this feature off their 'better' cameras and think there must be a very stubborn marketing manager somewhere in their organisation who is doing them a lot of harm with his/her intransigence on this matter

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow