Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
frameman
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 10 months ago

I've had some time to mull over the G1X II, and read a bit more and so, for what it's worth, a few thoughts. IQ :- I have no doubts that IQ will be exeplary, and that the files will be robust and very workable. Lens :- well done Canon, a lens that offers better ƒ stop equations than many more expensive offerings. Sensor :- again well done Canon, 12-13Mp is more than enough for most, and those pixels will be larger and therefore probably more efficient, nice one. Size and shape :- a usefull size with much the same as the G1X, personaly I found it to be very OK and attractive.

Now the NOT so sure about, EVF :- Personally, I would have prefered to see the EVF incorperated into the body and the on-camera flash removed, and Canon adding a small flash (for the hotshoe) to the box content (as Olympus has done). In my case, I like the camera at the eye, and with an external flash fitted the camera will be held away from the eye which is not the most stable position. Lastly the price :- $799, well that will be £800 <> in the UK, add the EVF £200<> which makes it £1000<>. A lot of money really. For £150 more I can get a 70D + 18-135. For £250 less I can get a 700D and a compact camera. Now I cannot see Canon threatening their DSLR market so the G1X II IQ will not be equal to their XXXD range. After sales stuff for them is a money spinner.

Before anyone point out various weaknesses in my theory, size weight etc', I know that the street price will eventually drop the cost, I know that it is a very compact unit , and I know and expect it to perform well, but, it will still have limitation of use. Consider what one can buy for around £1000 in say M4/3 , OK I know that has it's faults , but neverthe less the system has small and capable all over it and the e.g. GX7 has most or more of what the G1X II has.

That all said, I very much like what I have seen in the G1X II (viewfinfe probs apart) and Canon should be applauded, but and for me a big but, the overall cost and viewfinder implementation limit the unit for me. Desireable , yes, usefull, yes, will I buy it.................. in my case not in the immediate future.

This is just my opinion, and who am I.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow