With the world’s fastest autofocus system (A6000)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,708
Like?
Re: re: few questions on practical aspects of the a6k
In reply to jpr2, 7 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

dpreview has their first look at the A6000 here.

the preliminary videos of a6k AF in action are pretty impressive:

• so, the AF seems to work well on a6k+16-50PZ - but... WHICH other E-mount lenses (SEL, but also FF for FF) support the OSPDAF this fast in practice?
  • esp. in longer FLs range?
  • as demonstrated, this order of AF speed makes both LA-EA1/3 as well as LA-EA2/4 obsolete (the latter together with all the rest of the SLT technology) - will there be LA-EAx adapters opening/enabling the use of suitably fast A-mount lenses on the a6k and alike bodies?
  • how probable this might be, and if probable, then HOW SOON?
  • what is the buffer depth on a6k for RAW files (the specs do not list this info)?
  • how many such RAWs can be recorded at 11 fps before the buffer fills up, and there will be inevitable slow down??
  • can a6k hold at least 2-3 seconds worth of RAWs at 11fps?
  • are the a6k RAWs of approx. the same size as from N7 (which means with no lossy compression, like those from A7s cams)?
  • as there is no AEL/AFL - AF/MF switch on the back of a6k;
  • IS THERE any other way on N6 type bodies - to take-off AF from half-press of the shutter, and assign it to some other location at the back of a6k??

just some impromptu questions from a top of the head, but perhaps there are lots more of unknowns (easier to ask/answer by the current N6 owners, than for N7 ones = mine familiarity with N6 is rather limited at best)

jpr2

These are good questions... the buffer depth has been answered in this preview:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-a6000_Digital-Camera_review

The A6000 looks like a good contender if you’re a keen action photographer, too. It claims a maximum burst speed 11fps of RAW JPEG for 21 frames or 49fps of fine JPEG before it begins buffering, and I was still able to continue shooting but at a much slower 1-2fps when it was full.

So it seems that there are two seconds of RAW image storage at 11fps before the buffer fills. It also seems that the camera can AF between the shots as this video demonstrates at around 0:40 (though to be honest I was more interested in enjoying his cute parrot than the tech side of things): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6N2KQ26fd4#t=264

I am particularly interested in the question over adaptors and the possibility of PDAF performance with A-mount lenses. In theory the LA-EA1/3 could support this, or alternatively there could be a 'mixed' type of AF on the LA-EA2/4 like on the A99 where the sensor PDAF 'fills-in' between the external PDAF sensors to provide better tracking... that would be very good and I'm hoping somebody will be asking Sony about A-mount lenses and the new AF capabilities of this camera.  Sadly PDAF compatibility was not implemented on the NEX-5r/6 with A-mount lenses, might things have changed with this body?

Also confused about the customisation options on the buttons. There is an extra button on the back and the two soft buttons seem to have moved. Can the other buttons be assigned different functions?

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow