G1X Mk2 - First sample images ... (PICS)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050Gear list
Like?
Re: Tonkotsu Ramen: Re: Am I getting one?
In reply to Marco Nero, 7 months ago

Marco Nero wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Marco are you getting this cam? I'm going to replace my S90 with it, and if I had my EOS-M, it would replace that as well. (Because I had only used it with the 22mm pancake). If it's good enough for my purposes, I will sell all my recently acquired Sony E-Mount stuff as well!

Whenever a new camera is announced, the first thing I try to do is figure out if it can do a better job than any of my existing cameras. Less noise, better low-light performance and accurate AF is important to me. Better dynamic range is also important. Usually, when a new camera is announced, it's only slight more advanced than previous models. Thus I tend to wait a couple of years between models to see a larger increase in technology and capability.
The G1X Mk2 needs to be able to outperform my G1X. At this stage the photograph samples look much the same as what I can get right now with my G1X. A slightly wider lens means more aspherical distortion. A faster, brighter lens often struggles with Chromatic Aberration unless stopped down. Less noise at higher ISO sounds good... although the recent S120 was a massive disappointment to me because the camera was aggressively over-processing the images with strong noise-reduction.
The G1X has a lot going for it so the G1X Mk2 needs to offer me much more. Lack of a Flip Screen means I can't protect the LCD in a bag. It certainly can't do what my EOS-M does so well and even the reports from Canon that the G1X Mk2 state that "you can achive high quality background blur" [when shooting Wide at f2.0]. But I remember Canon making much the same claims about the G1X when it was released and the background blur was quite limited unless shooting with additional closeup lenses.

Original G1X - pretty small to begin with.

At this stage I don't see any reason to update my G1X but I would like to see this new update to the G1X (that's what the Mk2 is... it's an updated G1X) is explained by Canon. A new owner who doesn't have a G1X might want to adopt the new machine. I think it has strong merits. There's a potential for disappointment if the camera design or software is lacking in any way. A wide lens might produce vignetting with an external filter. Will it take the old filter mount? Will Canon limit the features on the camera to prevent damage to their more lucrative DSLR lens range? Could they over apply overly aggressive noise reduction to draw the most out of the lowlight abilities they're claiming? Why not? They've done it before.
We really need to wait and see what other people's first experiences are. It's not a pretty camera but neither was the G1X. Both are tough and rugged but being unable to flip the LCD around to protect it on the G1X Mk2 means there's a real risk of damage in a bag or hanging from your shoulder. Some of the design aspects are a step backwards. We just have to wait and see more. If it turns out to be a noticeable advancement over the original version of the G1X, then I'd certainly consider it. But so far the Mk2 looks to be a stripped-down version of what most of us might want and the promises of faster AF and better low noise performance must first be proven against the critics.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

The G1X is still a very good camera, but the MKII seems to improve on most of the previous version's limitations. And there is a big difference between 28mm and 24mm, and a big difference between the maximum apertures on the new lens, compared to the older lens.

As for "being unable to flip the LCD around to protect it on the G1X Mk2 means there's a real risk of damage in a bag or hanging from your shoulder", I really don't find it a true problem. In all my years of using, and abusing, my digital cameras, I have never damaged an LCD. And if you are really concerned, you can always buy a cover.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ha!New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow