DOF and Cropping take 2

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,717Gear list
Like?
Re: What the heck is a cropped image ( with the 645d)
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, 6 months ago

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

Now looking at the photos above, myself and many others would say this is about the worse way to compare image across formats we want to compare DOF with image that have the same FOV as this is how we photograph. We use things like DOF, FOV, perspective & focal point as visual aids in conveying our creative work, so why not use these key segments in photography >>> and god said let there be Equivalency<<<< to evaluate formats.

Because as a photographer you shoot with the tool in your hand, you do not equate it to anything.

What DoF you require will depend on your final viewing media, How many really define that at image capture time outside a studio.?

As we’ve already proved Perceived DoF will alter both at capture time and when presented depending on viewing distance.

So though you may say I want aps-c 1ft DoF at 10ft with 55mm so will shoot @f2.5

the reality is you will adjust Focal length or subject distance as you shoot to create the correct composition DoF is a secondary concern and only a ball park ideal.

So DOF, FOV, perspective & focal point as visual aids are just that aids whereas rule of thirds , composition etc will adjust any hard and fast DoF requirement making equivalence nothing but something to argue about.

I will work on that tomorrow

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow