What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,200Gear list
Like?
Re: Too late
In reply to s_grins, 8 months ago

s_grins wrote:

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

honeyiscool wrote:

Yeah, I actually think $800 is a really good deal by M43 standards. I mean, the only fast wide angle we have is... $800, and Canon gives you a lens that has those specs at the wide end, plus it zooms. And has a sensor bigger than a 4/3" sensor behind it. So how is that overpriced?

You can't compare m4/3 cameras with the Canon G1X II. Why? The size of the sensor is one criterion. But the quality of the sensor is a lot more important.

If Canon would put a sensor as great as the one found in second-generation m4/3 cameras (OM-D, Lumix GX7, etc.), the Canon G1X II would have an IQ as good as DSLRs sold twice that price and made by that same company.

So Canon don't have the choice but putting a sensor equivalent to the one in first-generation m4/3 cameras (GH1, old Pens, etc.). These days, those old m4/3 cameras are sold as kits at a rebate price a lot below 800$. That's why the Canon GX1 II is overpriced.

I see you are judging IQ of the camera that have not been officially announced. May be you have access to a sample shots ?

About sensor size: 1.5 sensor of G1X is just little bigger than 43 sensor and significantly smaller than APS.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

He hasn't, but Ca\non is now i its 6th year using the same sensortechnology. If G1X-II uses a new one, it may do a lot better. But I guess Jean Pierre is right to guess it won't be anything different an d if so it offers nothing over the RX100II sensorwise. A sensor that in fact has vastly better DR at th lowest ISO's especially.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow