Describing your style of postprocessing?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Aspenz
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Describing your style of postprocessing?
9 months ago

As you all know, how a photo is postprocessed can affect the outcome and 'feel' of the photo more so than the differences caused by the user/camera. Since there are infinitely many ways to postprocess your photos, it is crucial, I feel, to develop and settle with a style that in a way is the signature of your photos.

With that, I'd try my best to describe my postprocessing style. For saturation, I dial it up to the extent that doesn't detract from an image (think oversaturated reds and loss of details) and most of my photos are somewhat colourful. As much as possible, I try not to blow necessary highlights and increase shadows depending on subject matter. These, and the fact that I do not like pumping up contrast too much mean that my photos are not that contrasty and can appear flat to some. Exposure and level curves are adjusted in a way to minimally or not blow highlights but still offset my dislike for dialling up contrast, with a preference for very slight underexposure in my photos. In some cases, backgrounds are selectively adjusted for colour and exposure in order to bring 'pop' to the subject. I'm kinda stubborn about getting the correct colour tone that matches my memory so my photos usually have to be tweaked with the RGB sliders. My sharpening is right in the middle; not full of halos and jagged when viewed at 100% but also not soft and smooth-looking. I tend to crop my photos based on instinct and not so much of following photographic rules.

I'm curious as to how others postprocess their photos as well, if it's not much of a bother I welcome all to share their methods, whether in length or not. As with all things, it is easier to see what I mean visually so here are some photos of mine (all taken with V2) following that 'style'. Feel free to share yours too.

Aspenz's gear list:Aspenz's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +3 more
Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow