Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
zodiacfml
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
Re: DP Quattro: Sigma official announcement
In reply to VadymA, 7 months ago

VadymA wrote:

Dogonit wrote:

What I'm struggling to figure out is who this camera is designed for - current Foveon shooters or to win over new buyers. Here's the problem: assuming the specs we have are accurate, is there enough here to force Merrill owners to upgrade?

I don't think I will - in fact I'm about to grab a couple more DP Merrills and pretend nothing happened. Although a little frustrating, I'm used to the quirks of the current DPs, and I, along with the rest of you, have already accepted that this isn't an everyday, every situation camera. This new iteration still isn't close to something that could replace my Fuji X100S as my daily shooter, so what's the point?

Likewise, is this new DP line enough to convert many others? I can't imagine usable ISO is up to anything more than 6400, probably 3200. That's still paltry. Battery life is probably better, so maybe that drawback will be nonexistent. But there's still the fixed lens "issue" as well as the price point which I think is safe to assume will be at least $1,000. Probably $1,200. So like I said, who is going to buy it? To me this is a really small step towards main stream viability; the Quattro will still very much be considered a "specialty" or "niche" camera.

Just my personal musings.

My thoughts as well. Clearly Sigma doesn't do any market research of what their customers need - I don't believe that anybody on Earth would ask of a limo-stretched body or a crippled Foveon sensor (less resolution possibly, but 4:1:1 ratio of colour pixels definitely not). I respect Sigma's innovative spirit but sometimes I wish they put their customers' needs ahead of their pure desire to be different. Why not ILC, for example, is beyond my comprehension.

ILC? Because they already have the SD line, it would just nearly dilute its sales where most of the lenses require little R&D needed.

zodiacfml's gear list:zodiacfml's gear list
Sigma DP2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow