Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eigenmeat
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?
G1 X Mark II, 12.8MP only?
10 months ago

So it looks like Canon just recycled the same sensor from the G1 X Mark I. The lens imaging circle is now smaller, so we are now getting true multi-aspect shooting(which is a plus). As a down side, we are now having 12.8-13.1 MP crop of the original 14.1MP.

12.8MP at 2014 is a bit of let down at 2014 to be honest. Especially with a sensor this large and lens this fast. The Sony RX10 is actually pixel sharp with its 20MP 1'' sensor. I don't know why Cannon cannot squeeze a good 16-18MP on 1.5'' sensor with a F2.0-3.9 lens(much less diffraction prone than Sony RXs).

Given equivalent viewing size, less pixel does not mean better noise performance on modern sensors(look at 24MP D600 vs 36MP D800, 16MP APS-C vs 24MP APS-C)

So I have three possible explanations:

1. Canon made no significant sensor tech improvement in the past 2 years, so they are just reusing the same sensor.

2. The lens is actually not that great, so they reduce the MP count to hide flaws. I personally think this is unlikely, as the G1 X M1's lens is superb.

3. The infamous Canon nerf/cripple bat. If the G1 X Mark II has 18MP with a high quality 24-120 F2.0-F3.9 lens, then no body will buy their Rebels anymore. I personally think this is the most likely.

Full disclosure, I rarely print my pictures(except custom print Panoramas). But I really enjoy zooming into my images on electronic displays too see the tiny details I miss when the picture is taken. This is especially true when looking back at the images taken on a busy trip.

Everything else on the G1 X Mark II looks ideal to me, and I still leaning towards a G1 X Mark II instead of a RX100. Just a big let down on the MP count.

What do you guys think?

Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
why?New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow