Sony A7R vs Sigma DP3Merrill

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,587Gear list
Like?
To wb2trf.
In reply to wb2trf, 6 months ago

If I say I am disappointed about the A7R photos of the Anzac Bridge then that is exactly how I feel and no amount of arguing is going to change that perception. I see wb2trf got 14 ticks of approval. Well, consensus doesn't always mean that person is right.

How many people posting here have the A7R? How many have taken photos with it in the summer? When and if you do own this camera then good luck with your photos. I have been impressed with the Sony sensors and this aberration won't change much...except I respect the Foveon sensor more.

I usually refrain from posting photos that don't show a camera off. This time I wasn't happy at all. Sure, lots of things contributed to the mess in the A7R jpgs. Still, that is hardly what I expected. Then when I saw what the Sigma revealed I was even more disappointed. Oh, I know how stellar the Sigma DP3M photos can be. On the day I took these photos I was giving the A7R an outing and I took some photos with the Sigma because I knew I would enjoy the results. The fact that the cameras had different lenses is irrelevant. I know the arguments here but I still don't like what the Sony produced. Yeah, I won't rely on jpgs from that camera which is a real shame. Means processing is a necessity for many photos.

If you honestly believe it isn't the camera or sensor then it surely must be the person pressing the shutter. However, you might be mistaken and it is indeed the limitation of the camera and sensor given the conditions and settings, etc. I usually use f/11 for landscapes but on the day chose f/8 thinking the resolution would be slightly better. All those 36 Mp and a sharp 35mm Zeiss lens on a tripod with 2 second timer and still many photos were unsatisfactory!

Thank goodness everyone is an expert on dpreview.

Vince

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow