Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Mk7
Mk7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 10 months ago

howardroark wrote:
My point was the G1 X couldn't challenge another brand that wasn't on the market when it was released, namely the RX100. Since the G1 X wasn't motivated by Sony, it seems unlikely that releasing something that could compete with Rebels or other APS-C cameras could be considered a safegurading measure when simply not releasing it would have matched what everyone else was doing at the time.

Ever since the introduction of the Rebel line, Canon has stripped one feature or another from the G series. Witness the infamous G7.
The G1 X was Canon's first response to Micro 4/3 NEX and other large-sensor compact "mirrorless" challengers. Yes, a fixed-lens response. I'll tip my hat to Canon for that smart idea.

However, the G1 X II is once again shooting higher than the RX100II with a tilting screen,

RX100 II screen tilts.

larger sensor,

Hope it doesn't get beaten again by the little RX sensor in resolution, dynamic range and color bit depth.

OVF should one choose to use it,

That's news to me. I do know that Canon fanboys are green with envy because of those dandy little EVFs in the A6000 and X-E2. They will cry to mommy if the new RX gets an EVF in a few months.

keeping the hotshoe (RX100II learning from the G1 X, as it were),

Canon wisely chopped out that black hole OVF beneath the hot shoe and made the shoe EVF-compatible, learning from RX100II, as it were.

faster lens across a vast majority of the range including range the RX100 II doesn't even have, wider lens, more zoom. The RX100II was a refresh

At least they freshened it after one year. A redesign will very well likely come after two years (this summer), just like the G1 X. I expect 24mm on the wide end. The tele end is augmented by the 20MP sensor.

whereas the G1 X II is a redesign. Anyway, who came first and who is competing with what is a chicken and egg scenario at this point with plenty on the market already waiting to compete.

The f/1.8 lens is barely anything to brag about over an f/2.0 and especially not when it slower at the long end despite less zoom.

The portability compromise has resulted in much higher sales numbers for the RX. No cam, no pics.

I disagree about the larger sensor of the Canon falling behind the RX100II especially at higher ISOs, but they are close enough that many people didn't care. The RX100II still can't take any filters although the G1 X II looks like it has lost the adapter for an UWA lens....at least we still have a bayonet mount.

There are aftermarket filter adapters.

In the end, Sony's biggest problem is that it's a Sony. If people like Sony's style, menus, whatever then that's not a problem for them. For many Sony is it's own worst enemy.

DPReview called the RX100II "virtually untouchable".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow