Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
More confusion indeciseveness...
6 months ago

Soo.... after going to the store today. I am even more undecided that I was before. Long story short, I'm buying back into M43 after selling my gear due to a financial crisis a few months back.

If anyone is paying attention, I recently concluded on picking up the E-P5 with 9-18mm, 17mm, 45mm, and 40-150mm as my new set up. Well, I finally got to the store today and I am glad I went, but maybe I need to rethink my approach. I think I'm putting too much thought into what gear to buy because I am completely undecided now! Here's what happened.

I played with the Gx7, EM1, EM10, EPL5 and the EP5 at the store today. Right off the bat, the EM1 is not for me, mainly due to price, but also because of the shape of it (I really want a compact form). The EPL5 was a just way to cheap feeling in my hands (especially after handling the EM1, lol). The lack of dials didn't help either! The EM10 was ok, but just that. The GX7 was nice, I'm actually really impressed. It feels much bigger than it is, and that's saying a lot! The 20mm though... it's showing it's age. I'm sure I could get used to it if I shot with it exclusively, but when you just spent about an hour playing with Olympus' latest offerings, the 20mm focuses like cold molasses (hides from the die hard fans). The EP5 turned out to be exactly what I wanted. It was cold to the touch and just screamed premium, not unlike the EM1. The wheels have significant click to them and the camera is just gorgeous. I shot with the 9-18mm, 12mm, 17mm, and 75mm. The 9-18mm is kind of a disappointment. That silly lock/unlock crap needs to be banished! The 75mm is just such an awkward FL for me. Other than a dedicated portrait lens, I can't imagine a use for this. For $600 less, the 45mm is more than capable enough for me. The 12 and the 17 lenses.... oh my... I fell in love. They feel great. The shots on the camera screen are amazing. I even had the sales guy take out an FL600R and I was taking shots all over the shop. I WANT THIS SET UP! Well, I promised my wife I wouldn't buy anything so I took my SD card instead and saved a bunch of shots from the GX7 and the EP5.

When I got home. That's when it hit the ceiling. My EP5 shots have motion blur at 1/160, whereas the GX7 are sharp as a tack. It wasn't supposed to be a shuttershock test so the shots are not exactly the same (20mm is at f5.6 and the 17mm is at f2.0), but they were both in the same environment, in a semi real world situation (aka, on the spot, without a thought). Maybe someone else can shed some light on this that has more knowledge. But with all of the talk about 1/160s shutter shock, this just seemed too much of a coincidence. EXIF should be accurate. I hope that maybe this is just due to the 17mm being soft? I don't know. As of right now though, I have no camera, and no idea what camera to buy. ANy thoughts or opinions are much appreciated.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow