What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,541Gear list
Like?
Re: What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?
In reply to rpm40, 6 months ago

rpm40 wrote:

The rumor mill is starting to pin down how the new Canon G1X will turn out, and it looks like the new model will have a slightly smaller sensor, even closer to m4/3 size (a 1.92x crop, in fact). With such similar sensor dimensions, it makes me wonder how it will compare to existing m4/3, and also if it will satisfy those looking for a fixed lens m4/3 equivalent. I think it will be a serious consideration for those people.

Specs:

Smaller size than G1X with reduced external controls (size should be similar to, say, e-pl5 with pancake)

Approx 1.4" sensor, 13.1 megapixels

Lens: 24-120mm 2.0-3.9 with built in lens cap

Tilting touch LCD

Wifi with NFC and remote wireless control

Built in flash, no OVF, hotshoe w/ optional EVF

Interchangable grips

5cm macro mode

Price probably $799ish

I think it's a very interesting package. Essentially the size of an m4/3 with pancake lens, but with a fast and versatile lens built in. No lens switching, no lens caps, it should even have a built in ND filter like the GX1/S series. This sounds like a really convenient all around shooter.

If it turns out to be as good as it sounds, I might be tempted. What do you think?

I think it is very unfortunate that newer version has lost OVF. Very sad. After this loss, camera is still big to put into the pocket

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow