A6000 first picture

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Blaming the Focus Groups for Sony's (and Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic) mistakes.
In reply to nevercat, 9 months ago

borrowed from:

eoshd.com/Canon NEX

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8578/canon-eos-m-mirrorless-unveiled-return-of-the-ef-m-system

"Canon’s mirrorless looks to take a similar approach to the market as Sony with their NEX system. Certainly the design of the new lenses takes a lot from Sony’s E-mount range.

Unlike the Nikon 1, the NEX system is a sales success and the large almost DSLR sized APS-C lenses didn’t seem to bother anybody.

However in my mind there seems to be very little sense in a low end mirrorless camera like the NEX C3, EOS M, Lumix GF3 or Olympus PEN.

Enthusiasts will go with a higher end mirrorless or DSLR. Consumers will go for a high end compact like the Sony RX100. Everyone else will be shooting with a smartphone.

Wrong strategy?

Focus groups keep telling camera manufacturers they want DSLR quality in a small camera.

Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Panasonic took this to mean a small DSLR with interchangeable lenses.

This pleased their accountants – there is much margin in cheap glass. Rather than sell only a body like they were doing with compacts, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus could now sell multiple lenses to the mass market for the first time not just to enthusiasts and pros.

However.

What they needed was to listen to a visionary like Steve Jobs instead, because a focus group doesn’t actually know they really want.

Sure enough it turns out that what these people really wanted was a compact camera with a massive zoom lens built in and a higher end compact camera with DSLR image quality that they could put in their pocket like the RX100.

So what is the point of low end mirrorless now?

In my view mirrorless should be pulled out of the low end of the market, and manufacturers should concentrate more on high end mirrorless cameras like the GH2, X Pro 1 and NEX 7.

Now in the age of large sensor compacts, mirrorless cameras have to offer something else compelling other than just small size and a crappy kit zoom which isn’t pocketable.

For nearly 3 years I have been using mirrorless cameras for professional work and my own creative projects. Cameras like the GH1, GH2 and NEX 5N were already giving me something compelling above and beyond DSLRs – and it wasn’t small size.

I got the GH2 because I like to adapt a huge range of lenses from the most affordable Canon FD to the best Leica M. I also like to fool Francis Ford Coppola into thinking I am using an Alexa.

I got the NEX 7 because it has an OLED viewfinder and a 24MP APS-C sensor which thrashes the dated 3 year old sensor in the T4i into the weeds."

I got the Fuji X Pro 1 because it has a better sensor than even the NEX 7, not to mention Leica rangefinder style handling and looks.

I got the Olympus OM-D E-M5 because as an all-rounder for high quality stills it beats the lot of ‘em."

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow