Olympus faux-technical sounding names

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Aethon
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
Re: Olympus faux-technical sounding names
In reply to Guy Parsons, 6 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

Why does everyone try to make this more complicated than it really is?

OM-D is a product line for those who like viewfinders, Pen is a product line where that feature is optional. The hyphen in OM-D is there to show it harks back to the famous OM film cameras but this time 'round it's Digital.

The "E-" is the line of cameras within the early Olympus system of naming. Originally there were "C-" and D-" cameras as well, and the "E-" were the system cameras, but over time marketing triumphed and the old C- and D- morphed into something else but the E- carried on to this day. Look down the bottom of the page at http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras to see the old naming.

So in Olympus forums the names E-M10, E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL5 etc etc all make perfect sense, no need for the product line prefix. In fact if we all got lazy then M10, M5, PM2, PL5 also make perfect sense here but would upset some predantic purist.

So relax and don't get your knickers in a knot about camera names, it's all so easy when you think about it.

Regards.... Guy

Two problems. One: the main point of differentiation that you offer is not exactly dispository. OM-D has a viewfinder whereas PEN...may or may not, it depends... That's as clear as mud.

Second, nowhere does anyone explain what all the letters mean. I bought into Olympus m43 two years ago and your differentiation between OM-D and PEN lines is the first I have heard of it - I've never  understood the difference.

It's exponentially worse for people familiarizing themselves with the brand for the first time. I have a friend currently trying to understand the naming schemes for Nikon and Canon cameras. He's wondering why both companies insist on using only the digits 5, 6, 0 and D to name their mid-range cameras - and he's right of course. It's idiotic.

There are a million ways to name products. The way that camera companies do it is genuinely stupid.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow