Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bert_vargas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566Gear list
Like?
I should not have pixel peeped
6 months ago

Its been years since I have.   The last time i did, i had the 20d and 50 1.8.

But, in response to another recent post regarding focal length comparisons between the 100m macro and the 24-105 at 100mm,  I decided to experiment.  in the post, the OP mentioned that at 100mm, shots from both lenses did not look the same, as far as perspective and focal length.

So, since i have both lenses, i decided to try to duplicate the OPs' issue (which i did).  But during the experiment, i started looking at 100% and 200% crops of shots taken with the 100m 2.8 macro, the 70-200 and the 24-105  all at 100mm focal length.

Boy, I am finding the 24-105 is not nearly as sharp as the other 2.  in fact, its very much softer.

Well, this confirms my suspicions.  from the first day with the 24-105 (got it with 5Dmiii kit), i have not been "blown away" like i was when i first got the 17-55/40d.

Now, i feel compelled to run more sharpness tests, comparing 24-105/5d3 with 17-55/40d.  I am afraid i am not going to like the results.

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

Bert_vargas's gear list:Bert_vargas's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +4 more
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow