Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
david tittermary
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?
Re: DOF and Cropping take 2
In reply to justin23, 5 months ago

justin23 wrote:

This is a really good explanation IMO.

I just don't get the whole idea of equivalence, its like people need a reason to force Pentax to make them a FF camera. As I stated on other threads, I use a Q, K5 and 645 film and never ever do I think now how would I make this equivalent. I shoot the subject to get the result, and I rarely ever have an issue of having too little DOF.

I had no idea that cropping changed the DOF however it does make a lot of sense when you think about it. An APS-C sensor is just a crop from a FF sensor. Now whether you do it at sensor level or in post production it is the same thing as its the same image projected onto the same focal plane, just that FF captures more on that focal plane thus changing the FOV, but no other characteristics change.

Yes there could be some arguments regarding exposure, but even different cameras using the same sensor seem to have different exposures for the same scene and it can be adjusted of course!

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

well if the sensor resolution is the same ie 12 meg ff vs 12 meg asp-c the asp-c will be sharper and have more detail.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow