Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,203Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 6 months ago

Hi Howard,

I think Canon have addressed quite a few of the issues that some buyers and certainly non-buyers grumbled about after the release of the G1X (which I own, like and still use a lot).

• The extra WA capability will be very useful. The extra telephoto capacity is marginal but it's there.
  • The increase in maximum aperture will also be welcomed.  (I don't know whether this will be at the expense of the minimum aperture.)
  • It offers close focusing to 5cm, but I don't know how close the normal range focuses and whether the user still has switch to macro.
  • It's got an auto lens cap - quite an impressive piece of design.
  • They've added a small but hopefully effective thumb rest to minimise unintentional activation of the video button.
  • Faster AF performance is claimed - to be confirmed.

They've also added many new and upgraded features -

• external EVF capability, over old built-in OVF
  • Multi aspect lens/sensor options (at expense of maximum resolution)
  • Touch screen controls (will please some and not others)
  • DIGIC 6
  • wifi,
  • NFC, etc
  • Improved card options

There are more questions than answers about the UI at the moment.  It's clearly lost some of the external control of the Mark1 to a touch screen approach.  And we've yet to see how the lens rings work.

The styling has been criticised a bit. I too don't think it's all that stylish, but the G1X was solidly industrial and I happen to like it well enough.  It's not important.

Anyway, I'm thinking this may be a refined and more capable camera that appeals to a wider audience.  It's being launched at $799 in the USA.  One thing we don't know is the price of the optional EVF.  If that's say $150, that's going to put the complete unit up towards $950 or so.

Is it for me?  Canon don't make bespoke cameras for me.  Much as I like some of the improvements, the external EVF and the touch screen just don't appeal.  I'd have preferred a built in EVF and external controls.  C'est la vie.  So, perhaps not - if I am going to get an eye-level camera with EVF I may well be tempted to spend more and go MILC.  And for the time being, I've got a G1X Mark1.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow