What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Rohith Thumati
Regular MemberPosts: 399
Like?
Re: What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?
In reply to rpm40, 5 months ago

I'm very interested in the G1X-II. I've been looking for a travel/carry everywhere camera for a while now to replace my Canon S95, and this looks like it might fit my needs (ok, wants) better than anything else.

I've pretty much run through the gamut:

• I used the Fuji X100S and Leica X2 extensively via rental last year. The files were great, but I couldn't jell with the field of view that they provided. It was just too wide to be my only focal length.
  • I consequently can't imagine something with an even wider fixed lens like the Ricoh GR would work for me, despite the great image quality
  • The RX100-II is quite good, but I just didn't like using it
  • The other smaller sensor compacts (X20, LX7, XZ-2, S120) don't impress me as major leap in image quality over my S95, so they don't seem worth it, at any price.
  • The Leica X Vario is crazy expensive and is about as bulky as my E-M5 with the 12-35mm f/2.8 attached.

The GM1 and the G1X-II are the only real viable candidates for me. The GM1 is cheaper and smaller, and being able to use it as a full backup to my E-M5 and my lenses is a really nice plus. It doesn't have an X in it's name, which is a huge plus, too

The GM1's slower kit zoom means I'd have to add the 14mm f/2.5, the 20mm f/1.7 (which I had for years until I sold last year), or the 17mm f/1.8  to have a good low light option, making it more expensive in the end. The camera isn't stabilized with any of those lenses either, which is a downer (I've really gotten used to relying on IS in low light).

The G1X-II's lens is bright enough that I shouldn't have to worry about low light situations, and it's stabilized, too. The option of adding an EVF down the line is interesting, for the G1X-II, too, and even though it's not pants pocketable, neither is the GM1.

Also, the G1X-II is an all in one, which seems better suited to the role of being a carry anywhere and everywhere/throw in the carry on bag solution, even if the GM1+kit zoom+14mm might actually take up less volume.

So all in all, if the autofocus is reasonably quick and the image quality is at least as good as the original G1X's, I'll probably end up with the G1X-II.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow