Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 11,075Gear list
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 8 months ago

howardroark wrote:

Mk7 wrote:

howardroark wrote:

Mk7 wrote:

I like what I see. They kept most of what I liked (big sensor, flex screen, nice lens) and fixed most of what I didn't like (slow lens, lame, bulky VF (finally AXED!), slow AF). Hopefully the sensor tech has improved. Price is still steep but I'm in the market and don't see anything better out there, for my needs.

Unlike the G1 X (Mark I), this model seems to give higher design priority to challenging other brands (namely, the Sony RX100), rather than safeguarding Rebel and lens sales. Credit Sony for that.

The G1 X hit the market well before the RX100.

Right, that's why I began the sentence with "unlike the G1 X"

My point was the G1 X couldn't challenge another brand that wasn't on the market when it was released, namely the RX100. Since the G1 X wasn't motivated by Sony, it seems unlikely that releasing something that could compete with Rebels or other APS-C cameras could be considered a safegurading measure when simply not releasing it would have matched what everyone else was doing at the time. However, the G1 X II is once again shooting higher than the RX100II with a tilting screen, larger sensor, OVF should one choose to use it, keeping the hotshoe (RX100II learning from the G1 X, as it were), faster lens across a vast majority of the range including range the RX100 II doesn't even have, wider lens, more zoom. The RX100II was a refresh whereas the G1 X II is a redesign. Anyway, who came first and who is competing with what is a chicken and egg scenario at this point with plenty on the market already waiting to compete.

Sony can be credited with shooting lower than the G1 X did in order to be more squarely aimed at a consumer rather than enthusiast market.

The RX100 II (raw, hot shoe, f1.8 lens, "larger" sensor) is just as much an enthusiast camera as the G1 X. The smaller, lighter G1 X Mark II appears to have been designed to respond to lackluster consumer sales in comparison to the RX. According to salespeople at my local brick and mortar store (and DPReview reviewers), the RX's IQ-to-size ratio is most favorable to enthusiasts and pros.

The f/1.8 lens is barely anything to brag about over an f/2.0 and especially not when it slower at the long end despite less zoom. I disagree about the larger sensor of the Canon falling behind the RX100II especially at higher ISOs, but they are close enough that many people didn't care. The RX100II still can't take any filters although the G1 X II looks like it has lost the adapter for an UWA lens....at least we still have a bayonet mount.

In the end, Sony's biggest problem is that it's a Sony. If people like Sony's style, menus, whatever then that's not a problem for them. For many Sony is it's own worst enemy.

Just because the RX is smaller and lighter doesn't mean they aimed lower. Its sensor and lens can give comparable and often better results than the G1 X.

Sony's problem that it's a Sony....yeah there is something to that.  At the same time, I now wonder how long it will be before Sony does a real upgrade to the RX100...this new Canon lens outshines the RX by quite a stretch. My luck... Shortly after I buy one, the other guys come out w something rather appealing too. Lol

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow