Olympus faux-technical sounding names

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,769Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus faux-technical sounding names
In reply to Henry Richardson, 7 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

I wonder if I am the only one who finds the Olympus faux-technical sounding names hard to remember? All those hyphens and hard to remember exactly where they go. Why have hyphens at all? Wouldn't OMD EM5 work just as well?

OM-D E-M5
OM-D E-M1
OM-D E-M10
PEN E-P5
PEN E-PL5
PEN E-PL6
PEN E-PM2

Maybe go the Apple route and name the products without all the hyphens and strange coded letters. For example, Olympus could name their cameras after deadly epidemics:

Bubonic Plague = E-M5
Ebola = E-M1
Smallpox = E-M10
Dengue Fever = E-P5
etc.

I think I like that.

Panasonic isn't much better.

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Why does everyone try to make this more complicated than it really is?

OM-D is a product line for those who like viewfinders, Pen is a product line where that feature is optional. The hyphen in OM-D is there to show it harks back to the famous OM film cameras but this time 'round it's Digital.

The "E-" is the line of cameras within the early Olympus system of naming. Originally there were "C-" and D-" cameras as well, and the "E-" were the system cameras, but over time marketing triumphed and the old C- and D- morphed into something else but the E- carried on to this day. Look down the bottom of the page at http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/cameras?subcategoryId=cameras to see the old naming.

So in Olympus forums the names E-M10, E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL5 etc etc all make perfect sense, no need for the product line prefix. In fact if we all got lazy then M10, M5, PM2, PL5 also make perfect sense here but would upset some predantic purist.

So relax and don't get your knickers in a knot about camera names, it's all so easy when you think about it.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow