Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678Gear list
Like?
Re: DOF and Cropping take 2
In reply to awaldram, 5 months ago

awaldram wrote:

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

awaldram wrote:

The only equivalence that makes some sense today is FoV where it can be used to roughly understand what magnification factor you might perceive based off something you know.

and what does this mean? with magnification comes light loose

I mean equivalence for DoF etc don't really tell someone anything about the image as most shooters have no terms of reference

Given proliferation of small sensor image taking devices even that is becoming pointless.

Not really now that FF body is becoming cheaper to afford and updated with the latest technology as a cropped sensor.

By small Sensor I mean camera phones.! now that proliferation and what your average shooter has as a term of reference the Film shooters from yesteryear are a dying breed (literally) and when were all gone what point a FoV based on a sensor size in the minority.?

I don't see any format as the new nirvana they all have strengths and weakness , at present with the aps-c current pixel density it fits my needs.

A 36-50 Mp FF would also work but not give me any massive gains to what I have today but would set be back £10,000+ in replacement glass.

But here's the problem a ff lense to equal your 300 F4 would only have to be a FF 400 f5.6 equivalent lenses same DOF same more or les the same FOV and the same total light gathered so the same noise and that lens comes to the same price point of a 300 F4

I expect the Pentax FF to be 24Mp and though I'll watch with interest it won't be on my Christmas list for the reasons I've covered in this thread.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow